EU Cookie Law discussion

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_UKWDA Admin_*

Guest_UKWDA Admin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Today the UKWDA published an article on the new EU Cookie Law.

See: http://bit.ly/NkEy3r

What are your views on this new law? Do you intend to comply? If so, to what extent?

Post your views here.

#2 Guest_jamescoakes_*

Guest_jamescoakes_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

I think the whole thing is a complete fiasco and classic bureaucratic meddling. How much has it cost them to create this mess? The government has said that they will be helping people to comply rather than enforcing so if I'm contacted I'll do what I need to but no more.

Even if there was a fine it wouldn't be more than the loss of 90% of my business.

#3 Guest_Michael Coyle - Lawdit_*

Guest_Michael Coyle - Lawdit_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi James, spot on - its Brussels gone mad. UK websites have been allowed a further 12 months before the Information Commissioner begins to flex his muscles.

#4 Guest_swordfish_*

Guest_swordfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

complete bullsh*t, I hope most websites ignore it.... why are we (taxpayers) giving money to these useless fat cats in brussels to make nonsense laws?

I bet most other european countries don't comply, just us stupid british.

#5 Guest_Lightspeed_*

Guest_Lightspeed_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

I agree with the other posts here, utter european horseshit. We should just tell the eu to fuck off.

#6 Guest_FlyingFish_*

Guest_FlyingFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hi James, spot on - its Brussels gone mad. UK websites have been allowed a further 12 months before the Information Commissioner begins to flex his muscles.

Are the ICO really going to try and enforce this? Surely the cost of enforcement would be huge?

#7 Guest_Michael Coyle - Lawdit_*

• Guests

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

Yes apparently and yes the costs will be huge. The ICO's remit is to encourage compliance rather than punish though so it will be very British and "Oh pleaseeeeee..."

#8 Guest_PoshWeb_*

Guest_PoshWeb_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

I would say that this will not only be impractical but plain impossible to police, there are just too many websites out there and new ones springing up every day. To try and police it would be complete nonsense.

I think they will just look to high profile websites and anyone else that is just unlucky enough to pop up when they are browsing.

#9 Guest_PoshWeb_*

Guest_PoshWeb_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Here's an interesting update i just found - start watching at around 3 minutes 10 seconds in to the video...

Note he said "It's difficult to imagine that non compliance with the cookies rule is ever going to trigger a situation in which we would be able to issue a monetary penalty" - interesting!

#10 Guest_Michael Coyle - Lawdit_*

• Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

Thanks Posh, really helpful contribution which pretty much sums up the situation!

#11 Guest_Dave_*

Guest_Dave_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

This is merely bureaucrats justifying their own existence. We see it more and more at every government level - on just about every subject. It will NOT provide any protection for anyone, it will simply create another level of box ticking.

As for the ico Dave Evans bod, typical waffle, clouding an otherwise foggy mist with no clear vision or useful information - in deathly dull monotone that would send an insomniac into a coma.

This all reminds me of a friend who was forced to spend half a million back in the 80's to comply with EU food packaging laws for his sandwich business. A few weeks in he had no option but to sell up. A few months after that I was in Brussels, where I bought a sandwich from a garage/service station.... yes - indeed... no proper packaging, no ingredients list and no sell-by or use-by dates.

We've complied, and I expect most people in the U.K will. I'll wager the Belgians are the last - if ever, pipped at the post by the Dutch... nearly whacked by the French and the Italians.... but not in my lifetime.

Somewhere between voting and government the whole picture of democracy has become warped and those we employ to serve, now rule over us. Bet you can't find anyone who voted, let alone fought for that.

If this gov had any cahoonas, they'd bin our membership of the EU. We don't need it and never have. And it's not a case of too many cooks. Cooks at the very least are able to cook.

Rant, rant, rant! :rolleyes:

#12 Guest_stephan2307_*

Guest_stephan2307_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

This is my opinion.

The idea on the cookie law is actually not bad: protect the users privacy especially from dubious companies.

However the execution is terrible.

All EU websites have a great disadvantage compared to the rest of the world. In a way this is discrimination.

I think the whole cookie issue should be pushed to the browser. This would mean that there would only a few companies that would have to make changes compared to thousands or even millions.

The problem will be that every website will handle the cookie management different. If the browsers would do it then as long as you use the same browser it would be the same across all websites.

They could generate a list of ad networks and similar that use cookies to track people and create a central blacklist. Also a user could say I don't want to be tracked via google analytics and the browser would automatically block google analytics from all sites. So the user wouldn't have to go and decline the google analytics cookie to be set.

And now the ridiculous thing about the law:
If a person asked that no cookies will be placed on the computer we have to place a cookie to remember that the user doesn't want a specific cookie.

#13 Guest_Michael Coyle - Lawdit_*

• Guests

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

The Law can be very silly sometimes as highlighted above by Newbie!

#14 Guest_jamescoakes_*

Guest_jamescoakes_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Six months on and the whole thing is a joke. Wouldn't it be better to minimise the ability of these quangos to meddle in business and spend the money saved on nurses and boots for soldiers? And now I sound like a Daily Mail reader.

#15 Guest_MDS_*

Guest_MDS_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

I am still struggling to see how this would work. There are too many websites out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users